Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

We just bought 1997 28 ft. 5th wheel. I have two questions.

Customer Question

We just bought 1997 28 ft. 5th wheel. I have two questions. both of the vent fans, ( kitchern and bathrooom) do not work. I have checked the sw. in both and the speed control in the kitcvhen one. I have .4 voltz DC at the sw of the kitchen fan. i have chencke the fuses in the DC pannel they all look good. Can you give me any idea where to go from here.
Second question. We have a factory installed air conditioner and it blows good air, but not vvery cold. Can this type of air conditioner be recharged and if so, will a standard charger for a car do the job Thanks Ron ***@******.***
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure that the fans aren't AC powered? Most of these are. Check your service breakers. Flip them off and then back on. And it sounds like you have a small multimeter? Good........you will need that for some testing. As for the A/C.........those are a sealed unit and unless an HVAC guy is willing to add ports and do this, then you will need to buy a new one IF this is the issue. IT might be just a dirty filter OR be sure that the compressor is actually coming on and not just the fan running. Please tell me the make and model of your A/C and what kind of control it has. Ceiling controls or wall mount thermostat. And if a wall mount thermostat, the kind and a description. Analog or digital readout. Brand? Get back to me with this and we can sort these issues out. A phone chat might be best for this sort of thing and save some time. R.J.