Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a solar question: I have an RV aux battery setup. The

Customer Question

I have a solar question:
I have an RV aux battery setup. The battery is wired to a CTEK D250s unit - http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-677-Automatic-Battery-Charger/dp/B005LBCVL4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1440539442&sr=8-8&keywords=ctek
. I am plugging in a couple of different panels I have. Specifically a Renogy 60W with a built in charge controller
http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Portable-Folding-Battery-Charging/dp/B00JX3XKFC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440539688&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=renogy+60w+foldable
Two questions:
1) is the built in charge controller on the panel redundant
2) are the combinations of two charge controller causing the D250S to not work? the unit is working fine with the alternator, but when I plug in the panels....no work.
thanks!!
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You should only need one charge controller from the panels.............IF they are hooked together AND the controller is large enough to handle them. What is the rating on the controller? Is this setup in an RV or some other use?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You don't need the CTEK charger...........the solar panels with the charge controller will do all that. With those plugged in and in the sun you can take a small digital multimeter and see what kind of DC voltage they are puting out from the leads. Most of the time you would expect to see something around 18 VDC or so. Those haven't been the most reliable units..........Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.