Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My 1997 holiday 460 motor will run about 2 hours driving

Customer Question

my 1997 holiday 460 motor will run about 2 hours driving when i stop for red light it will run very bad and quit running what could it be thanks
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Sounds like you are having an issue with vapor lock and the fuel pump. Many of these Ford units during this time frame had an issue with the in tank fuel pump failing when the gas in the tank gets hot. The fuel pump will circulate the gas from the tank through a loop around the engine and back, in hot conditions the re-circulated gas gets very hot until the pump fails, once the gas cools down the pump resumes operating normally. This should have been looked at if you had a shop do the repairs. The way you would check this would be to install an in-line fuel pressure gauge and if there was an issue the pressure would get lower as the fuel gets hotter. Also very important to check and make sure any fuel lines are not in the direct path of the exhaust, make sure the exhaust manifold is also not leaking as that would not help matters, sometimes you can add a heat shield to protect the fuel lines as well. This was a common problem during this time frame with the 460.... Hope this helps some, Robert