Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Water heater work's perfect on electric. Gas mode, it lights

Customer Question

Water heater work's perfect on electric. Gas mode, it lights and goes out several times and then stays off. Cycle the switch from gas to off and back to gas a few times the gas will stay lit until the desired temp is reached. Then it will turn off as expected. Next time it's time for the gas to light, same thing, it lights and goes out. If I cycle the switch it will eventually stay lit. Problem is, I have to manually cycle the switch every time I want hot water in the gas mode. Gas supply is not a problem, and once it lights for a few seconds, it will run for hrs if the demand is needed. Switch to electric, and all is good. THANK YOU
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert.
This sounds like an issue with the electrode or circuit board, however I would also pull the gas orifice and soak it in alcohol to make sure it is not plugged up. The electrode will send a signal to the board to shut down the gas valve if it does not sense the presence of the flame. The electrode tip should be about 3/16" over the burner tube and should be in the flame.
IF you have not done so pull the connector on the circuit board and clean the contacts on the board with a pencil eraser. Sometime this is a weak link. Next I would have the board tested, most RV shops will have a special board tester, if the board test good I would replace the electrode. I also might replace the T-stat and High limit, they will sit on the tank and be round discs. They are pretty cheap and come as a kit, most RV parts stores should have these parts...... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit.... Robert