Joe
Joe, RV Technician
Experience:  Associates Degree in Automotive Technology , 18+ years as RV and Commercial Bus Technician
20245751

Stuck in a Wall mart parking lot in my 2002 R Vision condor.

Customer Question

Stuck in a Wall mart parking lot in my 2002 R Vision condor. Was pulling a "mild hill" and it lost all power. Did not die but backfired a couple of times. Was able to limp it off the highway. All gauges read normal.
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chevy(GM) 8.1liter. 33k miles. Full tank of gas. Parking break still works ( have read they are problematic but have never had trouble with mine)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction. Only revs to high RPM (3k) when the pedal is pushed slowly. If tou push any faster it misses and backfires. Does not come out of it until you let off. Idles fine
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Joe

It sounds like the engine is running very too lean and is deprived of adequate fuel supply.

Fuel pressure should stay between 50 60 psi. even under load. The fuel filter could be plugged , or the fuel pump defective, or both.

Another thing I've seen on this chassis is the air filter become plugged or collapse. It would be a good idea to take the air filter hosing apart and inspect the air filter. It is located in front of the right front wheel.

Sometimes these air filters will become saturated with water and collapse in the hosing, especiallly if driving in rain or wet roads.

-Joel

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Please remember to rate my service, so I can receive credit for my help.

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed air filter and in line fuel filter. No change in performance. Abandoned the RV. Had it towed to shop. Hotel and rent a car till its fixed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was the fuel pump. We could not find the exact one for this chassis but did find an AC Delco that we made work. Had to change the plug. And it is about 3/4" shorter so I lost a bit of fuel capacity.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update.

I'm glad to hear it is fixed.

-Joe