Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

Can get my domestic thermostat to work no error message

Customer Question

Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 1 year ago.

Hi, can you describe the thermostat ex. 4 button, 5 button ect. thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a domestic has 3 buttons a plus a minus and on off

thanks does it look like this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant open your pic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Display works but nothing works

thanks,that the display is working, that tells me the thermostat if receiving power.....................can you take a photo of the thermostat or find a part number on it................

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Ac no fan

once I can determine which thermostat you have, I can direct you in the next troubleshooting process...........the thermostat sends 12volt signals to a control inside the ac and uses a 12volt signal to turn on 12v/120 relays to energize the appropriate component fan / compressor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dometic 540;4579;4595;640

thanks thats a single zone lcd thermostat. it is a 3 wire thermostat that has 1 positve wire, one negative wire, and a data wire, which sends specific resistance to the control to tell it what to do....................as you have power there you have 12v and ground............................so.. this means you either have a bad thermostat (most likely) or a bad control (much less likely)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its brand new
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any way to make Ac work till I get another

I understand, you might try a reset, which I will give you, and make sure the wires are connected, and have not fallen off at the thermostat and at the control in the ceiling.... go to page 3 and do the system initialization

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No help I cant get that up

ok, make sure the thermostat is in the off position,,,,,,,,,,press the + button at the same time press the on/off mode for 3 seconds the display should show --- the press the on/off button again, this completes the reset

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now its flashing e1

thanks the e1 error code is a communication error.................this is either the thermostat is not able to send a signal to the control, the connections at the thermostat or the control,,,,,,,,the wire between the two or the control...........

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now what

unfortunately, you cannot do a repair in the field at this time,,,,,,,,,,I would replace the control and the thermostat as they are fairly inexpensive, or replace the thermostat then the control if that does not resolve the issue.................If I had to guess, and I have seen so many bad thermostats of that type, I would lean towards the thermostat.......