Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 96 Holiday rambler alumalite 5th wheel that has a

Customer Question

I have a 96 Holiday rambler alumalite 5th wheel that has a leak in the corner of the bookcase to left of stairs. I have had several people try to troubleshoot the leak to no avail. No pouring water but wet and wood sweeling. Have had top looked at...slide out etc. Since totally enclosed no clue how to go in from underneath.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert....
IF you can send a few pictures of the area that is leaking and a picture of the entire side below and above I might be able to have some ideas for you, water leaks can be difficult to pin down but some pictures might help. You should be able to add them into your reply.... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 70 years old so this tech stuff is questionable...I will do my best!! It is in the corner of the cabinet. ..slide out is right there. ..cabinet backs up to toilet that is just up the steps on left. I punched the hole in the floor in bottom of cabinet. .through hole I can see the two valves that empty toilet etc. I leave it open as on a permanent site. Everything seeks to be sealed. ..if open storage door that goes to that area and backs up adjacent to it. ..it is dry also. Thanks for your assistance. I just had linoleum installed last summer and sure don't want floor to rot underneath. .afraid of mold too.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
The last picture shows a view of the outside, is the leak between that window and the slide-room? I would think it would be the bathroom window.... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will see if I can get a neighbor to look at that window tomorrow. The leak is right in that corner...cabinet goes to the left just before bathroom window. I will reply to your question tomorrow. Thx
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
You can take your time and respond when needed.
IF it is in that area that light really stands out to me and the window. I would pull the light and make sure the hole for the wires is sealed very good. I have seen the water get in the light and then run down that wire into the cabinet if it is not sealed up, all it would take is a small crack or void for water to get in.
The window, I would pull some screws on the window frame inside and see if they are rusty, that would be a red flag it has bee leaking. The windows can vibrate loose and I would pull that window, re-do the seal and then put some clear silicone where the window meets the body so all along the edge of the window. It appears to me that it is coming from above and look for any other any screws you can pull outside above that area and see if they are rusted. Water leaks can be hard to find but not impossible.... Take your time and respond if needed.... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No one had been able to come look at the screws fir me...both neighbors thought early on it might be one of these areas...the light was sealed several weeks ago very well...they didn't see an issue with the window but have said they will.come check it again. Presently I am trying to dry out the cabinet with a fan. Do I need to just end rhis ir wait until they can ck the screws and continue our troubleshooting??
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
It is up to you, I only get credit when you select a rating, but want you to be satisfied with my efforts, you can come back if needed after selecting a rating and I can still try and help you, I am around daily and respond when I can....
As far as the window I would go inside and pull a few screws from the frame and make sure they are not all rusty... The sides and bottom is where I would look. Windows are always can be a source if you have a leak, water will run down the wall and get out where it can.
Robert