Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My Atwood water heater will ignite then shut off 5 seconds

Customer Question

My Atwood water heater will ignite then shut off 5 seconds later. And on the 10th time or so so will ignite stay on for 5 minutes but the igniter will be clicking the whole time. I've changed the circuit board and Eco n tstat
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
IF the electrode is clicking and you have replaced the circuit board the only thing this can be is that electrode. Make sure the ceramic on the electrode is not cracked and that the connection on the wire looks good. Make sure the electrode is about 3/16" over the burner tube. I would also blow out the burner tube make sure it is clear and clean. Normally when the electrode does not stop sparking it is the electrode OR circuit board, you replaced the board so I would replace the electrode... Hope this helps some... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a bad electroid will shut down gas coming out then?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
The board will send a signal to the gas valve and electrode at the same time, if the electrode was bad it would not light the LP OR it would continue to spark while the flame is going so that is step one, it should be replaced if it is sparking with the flame going.
You can pull the gas orifice and soak it in alcohol
When the electrode is sparking you should have voltage going to the gas valve and then you should also hear a single click when the gas valve opens up.
The only other thing to do would be to have the LP tested at the back of the water heater, this would be hard for you to do without a manometer so have to look at everything else.
The electrode will send a signal to the board to shut down if it does not sense the flame.
Hope this helps... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert