Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Rv does not get power while generator is running. Everything

Customer Question

Rv does not get power while generator is running. Everything works while plugged into shore power
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
Sorry for the delay....
What is the Year, Make and Model of the RV? I assume you are missing all the AC power, the outlets and the microwave are not working?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2009 phenix cruiser yes all the a/c power is out
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Do you have to plug a cord in next to the generator to all AC power to get inside OR is it automatic, you start the generator and then have power available?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its automatic. Start generator and coach powers up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Usually
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
To start go to the generator and make sure you do not have a breaker tripped,on some the side panel comes off and you will see one or two breakers, make sure they are not tripped. From there the power will go to a Transfer Switch. The TS detects the incoming power source and switches between shore and generator power, when they fail you will get no AC voltage on one source. IF you have AC voltage going into the switch and nothing coming out then it has failed. Location will vary sometimes the switch is near the shore cord and other times it can be inside. Try and follow both the generator and shore cord it will go right to it.... IF you have no AC voltage going into the TS and the breaker on the generator is not tripped then it is going to be an issue with the generator... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can not see where generator output goes. In case in metal sleeve and goes into flooring. However i can see from under fridge where the inverter and breakers are that the shore power goes straight to breaker box.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
You should have a point where the wiring looks like a Y you will have incoming shore, incoming generator and then out to the breaker panel... Robert
It has to switch back and forth if you do not have to plug a cord in...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Breaker on rv is not tripped. However not familiar with this. If i trip it and reset it. It does feel like it resets but it does not feel like a house breaker. Its a weaker feeling
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Is that breaker on the generator or inside the RV?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Generator. All breakers in rv feel like normal house breakers
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Going to have to find that transfer switch. Sometimes they like to stick it inside could be in back of the breaker panel, under the bed, in the closet etc. I am not sure on your year and model exact location but you should have one, once you find that check for AC power going into the transfer switch... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more help....
Robert