Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have an attwood gc6aa 8e water heater.It is 5 years old

Customer Question

I have an attwood gc6aa 8e water heater.It is 5 years old and it will not light. It sparks but no gas to ignite. I cleaned the tube with brush and air. What would you recommend next. Gas control valve?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert....
Can you hear the gas valve click when it is sparking? do you have a volt meter?
Also have you tried to manually light it when it is sparking?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sound out of valve. No on light.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Need to check the leads to the valve and see if they have voltage when it is sparking, if the valve is getting over 11 volts and you are not hearing it click the I would replace the gas valve. IF you do not have voltage going to the valve and it is sparking then I suspect the circuit board is bad. Pull the connector on the circuit board and clean the contacts on the board with an eraser. Next I would have a RV shop test the board, most shops have a special tester for testing these. I also might have the LP pressure verified if the gas valve is opening up, I would pull the gas orifice and soak it in alcohol, make sure the electrode is 3/16" over the burner tube.... Hope this helps IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert