peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

I have a 1991 class A motorhome with a chevy chassis & 454.

Customer Question

I have a 1991 class A motorhome with a chevy chassis & 454. I took it out for a drive after being parked for awhile and although it started moving okay in OD but within 2 miles it seemed to get progressively stuck into a lower gears. I think I limped home in Low after only 10 miles of driving.
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the automatic transmission's fluid while idling in park and the level appears to be good. I thought maybe the linkage might be sticky from disuse but, aside from the shifter cable connected to the steering column, there doesn't appear to be anything outside the tranny that might need lubrication. I'd like to know what might be causing this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle only has around 37K miles but it has sat a lot in recent years. Not surprisingly, the weather here in Maine hasn't been particularly hot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The motorhome is a 31' Damon Challenger.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
On some models this can be a fault with debris build up in the transmission valve body with a transmission flush needed or a fault with the valve body itself needing replaced as a valve or other components may be binding or failing in it.
Thanks Pete