Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I am experiencing problems with my RV air conditioner.

Customer Question

Hi Tony. I am experiencing problems with my RV air conditioner. Dometic series 57915.531. It tripped the house 20 amp circuit breaker and I did some checks. Air conditioner start-up running current was 16amps, ran for 4 min and the compressor quit. Current now was 4.8amps, fan was running. After 1min 22sec the compressor restarted drawing 16 amps, ran for another 4 min but I watched the current rise quickly to 30 amps just before dropping back to 4.8amps. I believe the unit is cycling on the compressor overload. Your thoughts? Thanks, Rolly
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Are you running this on an adapter of any kind? An A/C can easily pull over 20 amps by itself on a hot day. And it may be short cycling and that will increase the load. But, that power source is not going to be adequate. You may have other loads on........the fridge, water heater and charging all draw amps as well. Best to have a dedicated 30 amp circuit without any adapter or extension cord for the best performance on the A/C. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit. And if you do need to get back to me, please include if this has a direct ceiling vent and mechanical thermostat OR a wall thermostat and the kind or brand. Thanks! R.J.