Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

I have an Onan 4000 model # 4KYFA26100K on my motor home. It

Customer Question

Hello...I have an Onan 4000 model # ***** on my motor home. It is setting a code 32. It starts up but only runs for about 2 seconds. Any ideals?
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
Onan had a huge problem with this about 15 years ago. The problem was that 1 or 2 diodes in the control board would go bad.
Code 32 is caused by the genset not producing power, the power not getting to the control board, or the board being bad. I have replaced many controllers for this issue, but have never seen the power actually be the cause.
The only thing you will be able to do is to check and see if the genset is actually prodcuing any power.
If it is not, you may be able to troubleshoot this yourself.
If it is producing power, you will either need to take a chance and replace the expensive control board, or take it to a dealer and have it properly tested.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Hank, Thanks for the response. My motor home is a 2004. You mentioned this problem was about 15 years ago. Do you think it still applies to mine? Also, I read this forum...is this a possibility?Customer Question
I have a Onan Micro Quiet 4000 generator that will start and immediately stop. It will not run even while holding down the start button. Once it stops, it flashes 3 times. Spark plug is good. Oil level is good. All control switches produced same results. Breaker switch either on or off has no effect.Dang?
Expert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
Hi I am Don, when you try to start it and it shuts down, the 3 flashes means there is another code that you have to get. While flashing the 3 times, press the stop button quickly and you will see another 2 digit code. Watch it carefully and let me know what it is, It will flash the code over and over for about 5 mins. Also if you could send me the complete model number, thanks ***** RV QuestionCustomer:replied 6 years ago.
Code is 32
4KYFA26100k
Expert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
Ok I am looking at the manual, does it run for about 12 seconds then quit? Or is it more like 2 seconds?
Ask Your Own RV QuestionCustomer:replied 6 years ago.
more like 2 seconds.
Expert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
Ok, this code says it is sensing low cranking speed, does it sound like it gets up to full speed when it shuts down? The things to check is spark plug gap (.025), fuel lines for loose or cracked condition, air filter, battery connections are tight, check the spark plug wire (it should "snap" in place). This is what the book says, but as a technician, I know it senses this engine speed off the output of the generator. I want you to check a winding with an ohm meter...are you able to do this?
It sounds like it is well up to speed.
I do not know where to check but I do have an ohm meter
Expert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
Ok you need to remove the control. Do you see the start solenoid on the left side of the gen when you take the door off? Remove the battery wire (tape it cause it's hot). Then remove the solenoid. The control is under the solenoid. The 2 screws holding it in are on the front of the gen (torx type screws). When you get it out, remove the plug and that is where you check, I will tell you where when you get it out OK?
ok. Will do.Expert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
Are you doing this today? I am asking because I need to know if I should stay active or wait till tomorrow
Control board is off.Expert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
Ok great, you are quicker than some of the guys I work with! You need to get the red cover off the plug, be careful it can break easy! It comes off in 2 parts. 1st pry on the red fingers on both sides and it will slide part way out, then pry on the black fingers and it will come off.
Cover is off, no breakageExpert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
Ok if you need a job!! HaHa!! Onan is good at labeling the wires. So check for J1-1 and J1-10, ohm across that. Should be in the vicinity of 20 ohms. Then find J1-9 and J1-3, should be around 2. Then J1-4 and J1-5. Remember to touch your wires together first, write down the reading so we can subtract it from your actual readings.
J1-1 and J1-10 = 0
J1-9 and J1-3 = 4.2
J1-4 and J1-5 = .5Expert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
ok, you said J1-1 to J1-10 is zero, do you really mean that it doesn't read anything?
yes. It was as if it was not even connectedExpert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
ok, is the gen in the RV? Cause now it has to come out, you need to get to the brushes..
It is out.Expert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
Man you are fast!! Ok, remove the motor mounts on the bottom of
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
Man you are fast!! Ok, remove the motor mounts on the bottom of the gen (torx) so that you can lift the gen end, remove the cooling baffle (black box thing) and then remove the flywheel. The brush block is mounted behind the flywheel, on a white block with 2 wires going to it. 2 torx bolts hold it on. (onan likes torx!). Inspect the brushes and the slip rings where the brushes ride, they should be like polished brass..
copy. Going to move it into garage for better lighting. Let you know the results in the am.Expert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
ok, I work till about 6PM est...I will get with ya as soon as I can!
one brush broke in half or lessExpert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
Ok, that is the problem then, I had one like this today and I replaced the brush and it was good to go...OnanMan, Generator Tech
Ask your own question nowCustomer:replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much for the honest help. Sometimes, it is not about the money to pay a mechanic to do a job, it can be about the availability of qualified mechanics to do the job when needed. That was our problem. We have 3 kids that have not yet had a summer trip and you helped make it so. Thanks.Expert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
I am glad I was able to help, hope you have a great trip. Ask for me if I can help you again!!
Will do. How much would that $6 part cost me if I dropped my motorhome off at an authorized service center and waited 2 weeks to get it done.Expert: OnanManreplied 6 years ago.
HaHa...I was at Camping World the other day and I heard the receptionist on the phone tell a customer that an oil change on the generator was $59.99!! I dropped my jaw! Let me know if you need more assistance. I appreciate you using Just Answer and ask for me if I can help again..
Ask Your Own RV QuestionShare this conversation
JustAnswer in the News:Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorhome/2ddfs-onan-micro-quiet-4000-generator-will-start.html#ixzz3j6TliTgu
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
this will still apply to yours - especially if it still has the original control board in it.
It is possible that this is what is wrong with your unit, yes. But not as likely as the control board.
However, you do not need to go through all of that. If you do have a broken brush, or some other internal issue, the genset will not be producing power at all - which is why I asked to you check to see if it was. As I stated earlier, if it is not producing power, then you will most likely be able to do your own troubleshooting, testing for broken brushes, bad slip rings, burnt field windings or a shorted stator. If you check for voltage output and have good voltage, none of that internal stuff will be an issue at all.
I can not go into details, but there is a reason OnanMan was removed from this website.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check for power output if it only runs for 2 seconds? Is the control board under the starter solenoid.. The black box? It sounds to me that you have enough experience with this issue and it is most likely the board. I have no problem with replacing it. It looks easy to do. Approximately how much is a new board?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
There are several ways to check for power output. Which one is the easiest depends on how the genset is mounted and wired into the coach.
Coming out of the left side of the genset, you will see a gray colored conduit. This is the AC harness.
If the AC harness goes to a junction box in the genset compartment, the easiest thing to do is to open up the junction box, and test directly at the AC leads.
If the conduit goes up through the floor, or through a wall, it will be easiest to check for voltage directly at the circuit breaker on the genset. This will require you to remove the control panel from the genset. This is not my favored approach, as the wires to the control panel are not very long, and do not give you much room to work. It is easily possible to pull too hard, and have a live wire come off the breaker while you are testing.
Connect an AC voltmeter to the output leads, or to the back of the breaker.
Press and hold the start switch for a few seconds, to try and keep the engine running. Read the voltage with the engine actually running, or the highest voltage you get if the engine will not stay running.
Yes, the black box under the starter solenoid is the controller. It is not easy to get out, but it will come out.
I have been an Onan tech for about 15 years, so yes, I have some experience.
The controller is not inexpensive, between $350 and $400. So make sure you test well for voltage.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure if you can see these... Please let me know if can check for voltage at this connector
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what connector you are asking about.
If you are asking about the 8-pin connector in the front left corner, next to the starter solenoid, no you can't check there. There is no AC current flowing through it at all,.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Hank...I will get back to you... The cost of the controller is crazy... I know it is beyond your control. I work with the big three as an automotive engineer... I release (ECM's) electronic control module's for far less than that...even for.service
But it is what it is..
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to the world of Onan....
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the estimate based on the cost through the rv dealer you work for or from onan? I am seeing some prices under 200 on the internet... I know there is a huge mark up through the readership
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
That is through a dealership.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Was this what you wanted to know?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Hank, l just replaced the control board. It still will not stay running. It will stay running if I hold the start button down but that is all. No more flashing light. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hank, it is only producing 1.5 volts
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

The generator is going to need to be taken apart to test the rotor and stator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that something you can walk me through?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see an answer
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to opt out of this question. Perhaps another expert might assist you from here.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this mean another expert will get back to me or do I need to find him/her?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

If another expert wants to take this on, they will get with you.

We are not all on here at the same time, so please be patient.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to bother you but I have not heard from anyone else... Does this mean I should find an alternative solution?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Hank. I really appreciate your help.