Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

My name is gene and im trying to help my father in law with

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** and im trying to help my father in law with his motorhome. he has a 2004 Bellagio coach with a onan 7500 gen set. it wont start from ant of the 3 starting locations. it had a 3 code then 2nd level 46 code. we replaced all of the aux batteries and charged them and the chassis batteries are new and charged. the 46 code makes sense because the other batteries were bad. we tried to start it with shore power plugged in but that didnt work either. i wanted to try and jumper in a feed to the controller at p2-12, p2-1 or p9-3 but i dont know if the controller in the gen set is accessable. please help me get the gen set started. i dont think its an open wire because it wont start from any of the locations. im a retired locomotive electrician/electronics tech so please help me save face. please
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
You didn't mention what model of genset this is.
But assuming this is an HDKAJ series, do NOT put power to any of those wires, or you WILL burn up the controller.
You need to test the battery voltage at the genset, both static and while pressing the start switch.
If you have good 12V at the genset, then the controller is bad and will need to be replaced.
.