peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

Hank: I have an Onan 8000 8hdkak generator in a coach of

Customer Question

Hi Hank:
I have an Onan 8000 8hdkak generator in a coach of mine. Will start and run without the main 35amp breaker switched to on, but as soon as I switch it on, the generator kills. Doesn't ramp up like it is being overdrawn. All things inside the coach are shut off. If I turn an AC unit on, it will also kill once the breaker is flipped, but will ramp up before it kills. I get Code 38, which says too large of amp draw, but zero amps are being drawn. Voltage reg? Inverter? Circuit board?
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thought I was using an expert named Hank, so that is why it is addressed "Hank". But anyone that knows about these Onan quiet diesels, please help!
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
I would have the wiring checked from the generator to the breaker for any damaged or corroded wiring that may be causing this fault here.I have seen damaged or corroded wiring cause this fault needing repaired to correct this.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All wiring has been checked. Something electronic/internal in the generator is sensing a load that isn't there, and shutting down the generator.
O.k.,with my info being limited I do not have the info on the internals of this generator.
I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.
Thanks Pete