Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a three year old onan 7kw quiet diesel in my motor

Customer Question

I have a three year old onan 7kw quiet diesel in my motor home. It only has 45 hours on it. Since new, it will run for 15 minutes and then quit. It will restart and run all day. I took it in to the dealer, it is out of warranty, and they said they THOUGHT it may be the fuel pump and were estimating the cost to be over $1,200 to fix. The fault code was low oil pressure. However once it starts the second time, it runs fine all day. Any ideas before I bite the bullet and take it back in?
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bait and switch. I was excited when I found you and now I'm disappointed in you.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay I see no other experts have responded....
I think the key to this is that on the second try it will stay running. IF that is the case it could be the fuel pump is not priming the system OR you have a loose connections cracked rubber line to the generator. What I might try prior to bringing it in is hook up an external diesel supply next to the generator and see what happens. Sometimes if you have a loose connection or the rubber hose to the tank is cracked you can suck air, once you start sucking air the generator may not start so using a can for supply will eliminate the lines from the tank. IF the fuel filter was not replaced I also might try that. I am sorry for the long wait, hope this helps some.... Robert