Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

We just bought a lightly used class a Motorhome about two

Customer Question

We just bought a lightly used class a Motorhome about two weeks ago. It is a fleet wood storm 32h 2014 with 4,000 miles. We took it on the first trip from Baton Rouge to Texas and I started having breathing problems watery eyes chest pain dizziness and disoriented. It goes away as soon as I have been out of the RV but the sore throat and asthma lingers and seems to stay for about three days. I have tested it out three times now and I am certain it is from being in the RV. It feels like there's a chemical I'm breathing in but I don't smell anything. We have carbon monoxide detectors. When we were hooked up to electrical at KOA it wasn't as bad but once on the road and engine is running its magnified. It also seems worse in front area of camper. I can breathe better in back. My husband doesn't have symptoms.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I would suspect that it might be a chemical in the carpet or drapes or upholstery. I don't think an LP leak would do that and you have that detector as well. You might have someone wand it for chemicals with an electronic detector and see if something shows up. OR perhaps the carbon monoxide detector isn't working. The fact that you mentioned it being worse with the engine running makes that suspect. Hope that proves helpul here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee. R.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We bought a second carbon monoxide detector lol. No alerts. My husband is thinking formayldahyde and we just need to air it out. but when we toured the new models I could smell that and this doesn't have that smell. What is the possibility of propane leak? We bought from Dixie landing /camp world and they have a two week wait list for auto shop and husband is mechanically inclined we were hoping to pin point it. Any suggestions on what we can look for as far as any leaks?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You would smell the LP leak............and you have that detector as well. I don't think they can put formaldehyde in these any longer. If it gets worse when it is driven, that sounds like this. What about a smell out of the waste tanks? What kind of chemical are you using in the tanks?