sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

If you can it would be nice. Van starts and runs well.

Customer Question

if you can it would be nice.
Van starts and runs well. speedo will drop off and odometer starts flashing and reads "no bus"
All lights on dash on, all gauges drop out but van still starts and runs fine. I am then just staring at a bunch of lights and no gauges reading
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's about it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Local Mechanic Recommendations. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It will take some testing at the time the problem is happening, a scan tool would really be needed to see if bus communication is possible with other modules. For whatever reason, the instrument cluster isn't communicating when this happens.
The modules all communicate over a two wire network. If either of the wires shorts to power, ground or each other then it will prevent communication. This could be an internal failure in any module or a wiring issue.
What will need to be done is use a scan tool at the time the problem is happening to see if the cluster is the only thing not communicating or if no modules communicate. If the cluster is the only thing not communicating and it's bus voltage at the connector is good then the cluster can be condemned.
If no modules will communicate then it will need to be determined if the bus is shorted high or low. If it's high then fuses can be removed to see if it drops and then concentrate on whatever is on that circuit. If it's shorted low then the next step would be unplugging each module one at a time.