Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

How do i remove the bearings on my kx 37 ft slideout

Customer Question

how do i remove the bearings on my kx 37 ft slideout (bedroom)
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I have never seen bearings go bad on a slide out............are you sure that is the issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i found a broken bng race under the edge of the bed. I lifted the the mattress and remover the plywood cover, upon further inspection I found small steel bng balls and can see whats left of the broken bng on the end of the steel shaft of the slide carrage.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

That would be the one exception! That sounds like a Power Gear slide which has 4 small needle bearings...........one on each corner. Those are held in by a nut on the end of the bearing shaft. Sometimes that nut comes loose and allows the bearing to get cocked off to the side and then it comes apart. Be sure you get all the old parts out of there and clean up the track. Check each one of the others and install the nut with blue Loctite to keep it from coming loose. Most dealers will stock this part. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more on this as all follow ups are included in our fee. R.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are not needle bng's, they are round about 1/4" with what looks like may be 12 little balls in a retainer cage set inside a steel race almost like a hub bng for a trailer axle. I understand i would need to get all the old pieces out of the track; my problem is how do i get the slide carrage that has the 4 bngs on the ends out of the slide ftame.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

This may be made by another company and I have not experienced any issues like this on any other brand. Do you know whose slide hardware you have here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the trailer was made by kz homes
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but they don't make their own slide hardware. Some was made by Venture Mfg who was bought out by Dexter Axle (I think) and I don't have any information on those. I will opt out of this and allow another tech to offer something who may be more familiar with these. I don't know who may be working now, so it might be tomorrow before someone responds. In the meantime, I will do some research when I get to work tomorrow and see what I can find and if I can offer anything, I will come back to this. R.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

When I opted out of this, the question goes back up "on the board" where anyone can answer. Some techs don't work on the week-ends or may be on vacation. OR they just may not have any answer for you. IF you knew who made the slideout hardware, I could offer more. Nothing in your manuals? Any dealer that you can call? IF you find out, let me know and I can offer more. Can you see the bearings on the other side?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

IF this is a Lippert slide unit or even another Power Gear slide out with ball bearings, instead of needle bearings like most of the bed or couch slides that they use, then I believe you will have to have the room removed in order to access the bearings for replacement. As I mentioned earlier in our chat, I have never seen a ball bearing failure in a slide out and I have been at this for quite a few years. I will check both of their websites to see if I can find anything about this for you and respond later. R.J.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Check the link below and tell me if this looks like your hardware.............this is a Lippert bedroom slide.

http://lci1.com/assets/content/support/complist/Electric%20Bed%20Cradle.pdf