Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Had our Rv months, but not used much other than overflow

Customer Question

Had our Rv for two months, but not used much other than overflow when company here. Today AC would not blow cool air, also the dual CO and LP gas alarm was going off but nothing else was turned on. Battery was showing full charge. Any thoughts?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Were you plugged into shore power and were you using any kind of adapter on your shore cord? Did the fan come on and just not the compressor? The CO and LP alarms sometimes come on when the battery voltage is low. I would check the batteries and the charging to be sure that those items are all good. The A/C uses 12 VDC controls when you have a themostat on the wall, but not a direct vent ceiling control. Let me know which you have and we can go from there. R.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was plugged in to my house power using an adapter. Both compressor and fan came on. The battery showed full power on the wall unit and also when i put my charger on it. We have a wall thermostat for the AC. When you refer to batteries are you referring to batteries in the alarm or the RV battery. There does not appear to be batteries in the alarm. By the way thanks for your help!
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you......was out for dinner. And so you think the compressor was on, but just not blowing cold air? And are you plugged into a house outlet or is this an adapter from 50 amps down to 30 amps on your cord?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rv is 30 amp and I am plugging into my house power using a converter and an extension cord.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Is the extension cord rated for 30 amps like your RV cord? IF NOT, it will cause the A/C to overheat due to drawing more power than the cord can deliver. That usually blows the start capacitor or PTCR resistor in the unit and it won't cool. Can you hear the compressor come on? It may have lost the refrigerant and that would keep it from cooling as well. Pretty much has to be one of those two things, IF the fan is running and still not cooling. Try to get off any extension cord when you need the A/C and have an RV plug wired up closer to where you park it and this will lead to less problems. The RV has a built in charging system, so you don't need any other "converter" unless you mean an adapter on the cord. Get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee. R.J.