Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have very recently purchased a 2002 Fleetwood,, Sea Pine.

Customer Question

I have very recently purchased a 2002 Fleetwood, Coleman, Sea Pine. The heater is a Atwood 7916 - 11. The heater is attached to a thermostat. The heater will tun on when the thermostat is turned up, The fan will turn on & I can hear some clicking from the heater. The problem is that the gas does not ignite. I do not smell gas so I am assuming the gas valve dies not open. I have not fount any manual valve to turn off the gas to the furnace. At this point I think is is electric valve that is not functioning.
The front of the gas valve hs a red & yellow wire coming in on each side [numbered 1234] a 5 amp switch of to one side and what appears to be an adjusting screw in the center [between the sets of wires. Two questions 1. Is there any easy way to determine if the electric gas valve is bad? 2. Where is the control board I have seen referred to?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

Yes you can check the gas valve with a volt meter, you would ohm across the coils to see if it is good, click HERE for a service manual and it will show you how. It will also show the location of the ignition board which is behind a plate, the last few pages show a break down of the furnace. Normally when the furnace starts sparking you should also hear a click from the solenoid when it opens. As far as the circuit board which could be the issue most RV shops have a special board tester and can tell if the board is bad or not... Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. First issue. The heater unit is clearly labeled on the plate as 79 16 - 11, however looking at the manual on the link you enclosed, the wiring on the front of the gas valve looks like a 8900 III. It has 2 round plastic cylinders, one on each side. Each cylinder has 2 wires, one red one yellow. I checked with ohm meter there a connection between the red & yellow post on both sides. I have by-past the thermostat to keep it running as it is very warm out here today. When it is turned on, fan comes on, about 30 seconds later the gas valve has a hard click follow in about 4 seconds by a softer click. These clicks repeat every 30 seconds. No heat coming out. Would the next logical step be to take out the circuit board to have it checked?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
What I might do next since you can not smell gas is remove the gas orifice and soak it in alcohol, want to make sure it is not plugged up. IF that does not help then I would have the circuit board tested, if it tests good then it could be an electrode issue. Also the LP pressure really should be verified at the back of the furnace, it would be hard for you to do with out a manometer but something to check if nothing else works.... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New installment.
I on hooked the gas valve assemble. disconnected the gas line [there was a little gas in the line, removed the orifice, and plugged the valve back in to the board. Turned the system back on and at the first loud click, the valve opened [I was able to blow air through it] at the second click about 4 seconds later it closed. The valve continued to open & close every 30 seconds or so. It would appear that there is some mechanism and closed the valve if it does no ignite. Is this likely a board issue?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
The board will send voltage to the gas valve and the electrode at the same time so if it continues to click I suspect the circuit board is at fault. You want to make sure you have good DC voltage at the circuit board. I would have a RV shop test it... Robert
IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping.