Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 2013 Keystone Cougar with 3 slides. My kitchen

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Keystone Cougar with 3 slides. My kitchen slide stopped working all of a sudden. The other two slides work fine.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Do you know who made the slide hardware? And are these all electric slides or hydraulic powered units?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lci and they are electric. We can't find the manual override.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

The override for most of their slides are through the frame on the opposite side of the room. What happens when you try to move that slide? Any noise at all? Do you have a small digital multimeter or even a 12 VDC test light for some testing? No manuals in your owner's packet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Owners manual says to go to the website. When we look for the manual drive box we can't find it but we did get an undercoat sprayed on. We have a living room slide directly across from the kitchen slide and it worked. We also have a wardrobe slide in the master bedroom and it works. When we press Glide 2 out (kitchen slide) the button on the panel beeps but there is nothing happening at all with the gear on the slide.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Are you plugged into shore power or not? Two batteries?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have no shore power. We have 2 batteries 27v each. Good power. The other slides work. Everything works. When I use the remote or the button on the panel. I can hear it click in the panel but nothing.
Can't find the manual port anywhere.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

How do you keep the batteries charged? Slides take a lot of power and I suspect that you amperage and reserve amps are low due to the use you already made opening the other slides. The kitchen slide is the heaviest and hardest to move. Even 2 of the 27 series batteries will draw down quickly when no power is coming in. IF you dry camp a a lot I would get some solar panels for the roof to keep the batteries charged. If your batteries are about 3 years old they may be failing and not able to produce the needed amperage any longer. Measuring the voltage isn't a true indication of battery condition. Running the tow vehicle when moving the slides helps as would a generator. This is too new for a motor failure and the switch indicates power is there. I just think the power is too low for this to function. That doesn't get you to the manual retract, I realize.......we have to look for that most times ourselves. Hope this proves helpful here. All follow ups are included in our fee. R.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Randall
Both batteries are brand new. I have a solar panel for charging. The trailer came right off the truck driving all day and fully charged.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Then it is possible, if one of the batteries hasn't failed........and they do quite often, that this is another problem. It might be a bad connection or bad switch. Might be a motor issue, but not likely. No multimeter for testing? If you would like another opinion on this I can opt out and let another tech offer something. Not sure who or when that might be. Let me know.........R.J.