peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

I have a 1992 Holiday rambler (33ft)on a ford F 53 chassis (

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Holiday rambler (33ft)on a ford F 53 chassis ( 460 ).. 38,000 miles
the motorhome sat for 8 yrs ( person living in it ) and only moved 5 km in that time ..it will not shift into OD on level ground . If i go down a hill ( and the throttle backs off ) it shifts into OD. soon as ground levels and throttle moves from backedoff position ( cruise or manual ) it is 3rd gear ( and I don't mean motor pulling at all )
. If , on the downhill ( throttle off -in OD ) i push the OD button , it will shift in and out of OD as often as I want and very smoothly,,, . I am told it is not vacuum controlled on these ... I changed trans filter and installed synthetic oil and a second trans cooler
why does it work with throttle off, but go to 3rd soon as footfeed moves .
p.s. towing nothing
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
On some models there is a throttle cable that leads from the throttle body to the transmission to help control shifts properly.If this cable is damaged or isn't operating like it should as some can be adjusted this will cause this here.I would have your model checked to see if it has this cable and if it does to see if it needs adjusted or replaced.
Thanks Pete