Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I am installing a DK2 break controller and can not get it to

Customer Question

I am installing a DK2 break controller and can not get it to work with the break switch output. I was told by mfg. tech. that the 1995 ford super duty F series has grounded break switch circuit that will not work with controller. but no advice of how to make it work. can you help me. thank you Walter
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I have never heard that before and have never had any issues with just a "plug and play" hookup to the Ford socket under the dash. I am not familiar with that brand of controller though. Are you trying to hard wire it in or are you using an after market harness?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is not a plug on the chassis of the vehicle. I ran power wire thru breaker from battery to black of break controller. I ran neg. from battery to controller. I ran wire for blue break output to rear plug in. I ran 12v power to rear for trailer power from battery thru breaker to rear plug in. I ran wire from cold side of break switch to controller thru fuse. according to mfg. tech. the unit is reading the break output as dead ground. I have tried everything I know to do and cannot get it to work. when I activate break switch controller displays 0 and not other response comes from unit with manual override. Am totally at a loss. Need Help. 1995 Fleetwood bounder on ford F series super duty truck chassis.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Sorry..........I thought from your description that we were working with a Ford Pickup. Do you have anything hooked up when you test it? We always plug in a circuit tester which tell the brake controller that something is hooked up. And as far as I know, that model still has a positive feed off the cold side of the switch. Did you test it with a 12 VDC test light? And it seems that the reading you are getting is telling you that the blue lead to the rear plug is grounded out someplace. Disconnect it and see what happens. That would be an easy way to check it. Let me know what you find........R.J.