gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

I have a 2007 Allegro bus 42qrp. I had it plugged to a 50

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Allegro bus 42qrp. I had it plugged to a 50 amp service. One day I came by it and heard a noise in the coach. It was the gauge that tells if it is charging. It read TEMP, FAULT. I checked the batteries, they were all bad. I replaced all 8 batteries plus the 2 engine batteries. Now it will not start and I can't hear the transfer switch when I plug it back in to the 50 amp service. There are no dash lights. I can turn on the aux. switch and nothing happens except the rear camera comes on.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

The first thing I would check is to be sure you wired up the batteries correctly AND didn't drop a cable down and out of sight that you didn't get hooked up...........usually a ground lead. The best way to check the batteries IF you didn't take a photo of the cables, would be to check the OUTPUT DC voltage where you have the leads coming OUT to the coach. You would want to see 12.8 VDC there or close. Same on the leads coming OFF the start batteries. You always have to reset the battery disconnect switches when you remove power. Hit both of those as well and see if you hear the solenoids "click" and IF NOT, the battery wiring becomes more suspect. Let me know what you find and please describe what sizes you installed and how you hooked them up. It would be easy to get cables wrong on 8 batteries! I will be home soon and will watch for your post. R.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was a certified mechanic but am not familiar with transfer switches and inverters there is a solenoid in a compartment on the right front of the coach that has a lot of electrical fuses and a solenoid that when crossed causes some of the things to function it has a wire that activates it that has fuse written on it but I can't find the fuse. there are several fuse panels. I called Tiffin the manufacturer and they tell me things that are different from what is on the coach. I don't think al of them were made the same way. A wiring schematic would be very helpful. They said there were fuses under a drawer in the console but it is a junction box, no fuses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn on the ignition or try to crank it it does nothing.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a small digital multimeter like you can find at most automotive or hardware stores? That would be most helpful here for some testing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Take a DC volts reading at the terminals where you have the cables TO the coach attached. That should read something around 12.8 VDC. What were the sizes of the batteries you installed? Same on the start batteries. Get back to me with this.