gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Freezer is working, but refrigerator side is not??

Customer Question

Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Is it the same on both AC and LP modes? Do you have it set on max cooling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ac mode, set on 5,coldest
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

What happens when you switch over to LP mode? And do you have a small digital multimeter so we can run some tests on the electrical components on the rear of the fridge? That would be the quickest way to track this down. On AC mode, the most common problem with poor cooling is a bad or failing AC heating element. It can be several other things, but that would be the first place to check and I can direct you in that testing. Not hard. Hope this proves helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Switched to lp, wouldnt freezer quit same time as refridge ??k
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Depends on the problem...........and if the cooling varies from the AC mode to LP mode that helps me narrow this down. It may time some time to find out once you switch over to LP mode.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could freezer need defrosting, doesn't appear the automatic defrost is working???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Up until now, had to be careful because fridge side would freeze at 3,never set on anything colder!!
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Doubtful..........but, it might help. Any chance that there might be some debris on the door seal OR that it might be damaged and not fully sealing on the fridge side? I would check that and then turn it to LP mode and give it some time and see if there is still no cooling on that side.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You may have a damaged or failing heating element. We can test for that if you have a meter...........do you want to try that? But, first I would like to see what kind of results you get on LP mode.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cooling fins on fridge side, are NOT COOL! Door appears to seal good, freezer is doing great, don't understand that part!!
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

The coolant goes through the freezer section first and then to the fridge...........but, it can fail on just that portion due to blockage in the cooling coils, but I want to rule out other causes first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its late here, 9:30 ,I'll see how lp works, then run test on electronic side tomorrow. Thanks for your help, don't know if I can ask for more help with this problem, for same cost??
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

We can work on this until we find the solution..............same fee! Great system! Just come back to this thread in the morning. I live on the West Coast, but get up at 5:00 a.m. or so. Hang in there............we can sort this out!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much, I have replaced the coils on one of my other fridges, a lot of work, but saved a bunch of money! Hope its something simple!!
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome..............and we use ATCO rebuilt cooling units and think they perform better than new ones. Hope it is something simple!

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.