Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

While changing the inverter the wires were still hot even

Customer Question

While changing the inverter the wires were still hot even after disconnecting the coach batteries. I also noticed that something is dragging down my starter batteries. This is on a 98 Tiffin Allegro Bay with a 275 hp cummins diesel
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
If you were unplugged from power and dis-connected the house batteries the only real place the voltage can come from is the chassis battery, I would be looking at the aux boost solenoid, when you hit the button on the dash it should tie the batteries together. When you hit the solenoid you should hear a click each time, go to the solenoid and check the voltage on each side of the solenoid then press the switch and see what the voltage is. I suspect it is faulty allowing the voltage to get through to the house side. The only other thing I can thing of that would cause spark without the house batteries hooked up is if you have solar panels, sometimes they can give a pretty good spark.... Hope this helps some... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a diesel which does not have a boost and no solar panels
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
so you are saying on your dash inside you do not have an Aux boost switch? Most all diesels have them, the switch allows you to "boost" the starting battery if it is low, it ties the house batteries via the solenoid and give a charge to the starting battery. IF you do not have that switch I will put your question back up for other experts... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tiffin motorhomes do not have a boost switch on their diesel motorhomes. Neither answer given applies to my coach so I dont see why I should be charged for service
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
I will request a refund for you... Robert