Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Ford 460 in Motorhome. the engine ccups while idling and

Customer Question

Ford 460 in Motorhome. the engine hiccups while idling and running slow speed
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the motorhome is a 1994 Fleetwood Jamboree. it has about twenty nine thousand miles on the odometer. I took it to Ford dealership in Waukee Iowa and their answer after their diagnostic was general tune up plugs condenser points wires etc. I purchased those partsand had them installed. the problem persists. I checked on an RV forum and discovered that many have a similar problem with the motor hiccuping even though the motor runs very smoothly. this happens when the, for me, when the motor is idling and and especially at low speeds. the motor has power, does not seem to be hindered when in passing gear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the RV forum answer suggested electronic sensor. but it gave no indication up what electronic sensor could be changed or replaced. certainly I would like to find the simple answer also where on the motor these items are and how they can be installed. my schedule is such that I'm not always available but I try to check my email during the day and evening. I anticipate also phone call on my part to you As I am NOT mechanically inclined. I have a mechanic in the family that I would like you to talk to when we get to that level. thank you
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question. I would think the more likely problem is a rough valve seat. If you have quite a few miles on the engine, then this is pretty common, but it can happen on engines with just a few miles. The gas we have now with additive corn fuel is hard on valves and guides. Take this into a good shop and have them put it on the scope and check the compression. That should show you the cause for sure. Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
I did submit my approval for your request...........
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Randall thank you for your response. I have taken today Thursday and Friday off in hopes that I might talk to you by telephone and also my son in law who is a mechanic but its backyard stuff is done it for many years I'm hoping that maybe you and he can talk about things but I'd like to start it off if you could give me a call sometime today I set this day aside to do that. My phone number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Did you get a notice about this from the site? I am thinking you have to call me through them......but, I did ask the mods for some clarification on this. I will get back to you once I hear from them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Randall, I've gotten so many emails I don't know which or where to sign or call
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I will get back to you with that.............it may be a few hours before I hear.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
10-4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Randall, is everything still a 'go' for us to communicate? I hope so. Thanks for your encouraging replies so far.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting for the moderators to let me know how it is done. I haven't had a phone chat since they changed the program. I should hear today and then I will get back to you.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

When do you want me to call? Sometime this weekend would be good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Randall I will check with my wrench-man. Hopefully we can connect tomorrow, the sooner the better. Thanks for hanging with me
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Glad to do it...........I will watch for your post.