gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Having trouble starting my 4KW genset. Using just the house

Customer Question

Having trouble starting my 4KW genset. Using just the house batteries, the starter will not stay engaged, it pulls in and out, never staying in long enough to crank the gen. The voltage at the batteries drops to 6volts when cranking and may slowly move to 8 volts, not enough to keep the starter engaged. When I crank the truck, I get enough voltage to crank the genset. I checked all my connections, all tight and without corrosion. What is causing the voltage drop?
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 1 year ago.

I see you have checked connections as this would be the first thing to do, next is to test or replace the battery, please get back to me for clarification if necessary, thanks Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Michael. Battery check out at Autozone - all good, 100% charged.

thanks for responding, good battery, good connections, starts with the benifit of the alternator when runnning...............clean the grounds and try again..thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which grounds are you referring to? All connections have been inspected and cleaned.

ground at the generator, at the chassis , were missing something (still points to bad battery)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All checked, all good. How about the DC contactor - it is under the stairs in my coach and connects the house battery with the truck battery - it has a remote connector to start the genset from inside. It is a White-Rodgers,###-##-####6. It had all good connections and is well grounded.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I jumped the genset connect directly to the starter solenoid, bypassing the coach battery. It started just fine. I used the same battery connecting it as the coach battery and it would not start the genset

thanks, ***** ***** here would be to connect the two wires together on one side of the component.......but your right there's either a bad battery or bad connection somewhere