Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My air conditioner quit working a few minutes ago. It is a

Customer Question

My air conditioner quit working a few minutes ago. It is a domestic 59516.331. I had a bad breaker a few weeks ago. Replaced. The fan blows just no cold air. I turned it off and back on. It blew cold for a while and quit again. Thoughts?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a wall mount thermostat or is this a direct ceiling controlled unit? And do you have a small digital multimeter for some easy testing? That would allow us to get to the problem much quicker. And do you hear the "hum" from the compressor coming on or not? These units are having a lot of issues with losing their charge and that can be checked from on top once the cover is removed. Please get back to me and I can direct you further on this. Thanks for coming to us with your problem. R.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has a wall mount thermostat. I can hear the hum. I just turned it back on and it seems to be working.but I know something is wrong. Yes I have a multi meter.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Are you using any kind of adapter on your power cord? Low A/C voltage is one of the causes here. It might be a thermostat or control box issue as well. Please describe your thermostat...........analog or digital? Slide control on the right side? Is the OEM thermostat or have you had an upgrade?And if you want, you can take an A/C voltage reading AT the power source and see if that is adequate. Then take a reading at one of your outlets inside the coach. Let me know the answers to my questions and I can direct you further. I will watch for your response. R.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Analog slider on the right. I can hear the thermostat engage the compreesor. If that makes sense. Just checked my in going electricity. It's very low. 102 volts at the plug. Checked inside my house only 110 there. I'm getting less voltage from the power co. I think I know what's up now. Thanks for putting on the right track.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
That is quite low and you really need to see over 115 VAC for good operation. If you have any other things on A/C mode you can help this by switching them off and switching over to LP use. And if you are using any adapter on the shore cord you should not do that as it reduces the available power. Any extension cord in use will do this as well! Shorter cords and the proper size and amp rating should help quite a lot. Hope this proves helpful and thanks for being a JA customer! Please get back to me if you need more on this later. R.J.