gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Have small voltage leakage between hot & ground wire on my

Customer Question

Have small voltage leakage between hot & ground wire on my living room/bedroom circuit not on GFI. 40 foot Alfa Gold motorhome.
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 volt leakage between hot & ground on all circuits in my MH, when I disconect living room/bedroom breaker I show zero voltage. everything works fine on inverter but when plugged into AC 20 amp home circuit and starting air conditioner it will trip this GFI, it never happened before and no other loads are on drawing large amounts of amps. Air works fine when I shut off this breaker. Everything also works fine when running 7.5 KW generator but still shows 1volt leakage.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Hi: Before we do a live chat, I should tell you that running any A/C on a 20 amp home circuit will lead to this sort of problem. The A/C will draw over 20 amps by itself on a hot day. Add any other uses like the fridge, converter and general circuits and you can easily be up to or over 30 amps. This will usually damage either the breaker or GFCI and replacing them may be the quickest fix. One VAC or less is not dangerous and not that uncommon in this sort of situation. You should be rid of the adapter and get the correct amperage plug at you home and avoid this sort of issue and you also won't take a chance on damaging your A/C which can be expensive. Please get back to me if you want more on this or still feel the need for a phone chat. Thanks for coming to our site with your problem! R.J.