Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Looking , my name is***** e a keystone mountaineer. The battery explod

Customer Question

Looking hello, my name is***** e a keystone mountaineer. The battery exploded, but the garage didn't think it was a power surge due to no burn marks on the battery.
Everything works on electric and battery only, but the landing jacks work slower and the lights seem dim.
I checked voltage at battery and at the distribution panel, both show 12-13 volts.
I do get 12 volts on both sides of the 15 amp fuses even with the fuse removed??
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** the jacks will be wired directly to the battery, follow the battery cables and look for a tripped or corroded breaker, below is a picture... Normally they like to stick them 18" from the battery and cold be on the frame, some are thermal and some have a small tab that pops out when they trip. Since many are on the frame they can get corroded. The voltage on each post should be close, you would measure voltage to chassis ground. Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are two of these near the battery, both show 12 volts on both legs of the terminals
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
What I would do next is check the voltage on the breakers when you run the jacks and see if it drops off on one of them, check both sides.... Sometimes you will also have one of these for the slide-room or power converter, you should see the voltage change when you operate the jacks.... Let me know... Robert