gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Good morning ! Have a problem w? a 7500 watt quiet diesel

Customer Question

Good morning !
Have a problem w? a 7500 watt quiet diesel generator . Under a fairly heavy demand it quit .. It will restart for a moment and stall ...
Serial # *****
Model # *****
Spec H
My diagnosis is this :
Level 1 code of 3
Level 2 code is 36
There are no codes for engine overheat or low oil pressure ...
I have assured that there is fuel available , fuel filters are not plugged , pump does run and there is 4 1/2 pounds of fuel pressure and plenty of volume . i removed the governor actuator cover and was trying to determine how it works , If once the engine starts if i hold the governor weight in advance position it will run . I tried to determine if there was a signal to the actuator on a 12 volt and 110 volt a/c scale . How do i test for output from the controller and also determine if the controller has failed ?
Thanking you in advance ,
Denny
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank you for requesting me.
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you, but I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings.
Code 36 is Engine Stopped Without Command from Controller. It is almost always a fuel issue.
If the governor were at fault, it should have thrown a different code than 36. Although I guess its possible that the governor is the problem, it is not very likely.
You did not specify how you tested for fuel flow, nor what "plenty of voume" means, so lets start with a proper fuel flow test.
From under the genset, remove the fuel return line, and attach a length of hose to the nipple on the genset. Run the hose into an empty container of at least 1 quart capacity.
Press and hold the STOP/PRIME button for exactly 1 minute. In 1 minute, it should flow a minimum of 1/2 pint of fuel.
How much fuel do you get?
.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Have you tested the fuel flow yet?
.