Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My 2012 work and play fridge will not ignite on propane.

Customer Question

Hello. My 2012 work and play fridge will not ignite on propane. Works fine on ac. The ignitor continues to click, never lights. I also have a problem lighting my water heater. Its works one weekend with no prob, next time it will not stay ignited. I have zero rv experience but I am very mechanicly inclined.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
I can try and help you on this, these items could be related or you have separate issues so it may take some going back and forth. In order to help you I will need the make and model of both the fridge and water heater.....
Also on the fridge will it ever stop clicking?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, it is a dometic for sure. Not sure of model. I know its only a 2 way, ac or propane. Water heater is a 6 gallon. Not sure of model.
It does not stop clicking, the fridge. The water heater ignites, but flame goes out and i have to reset. It will eventully stay lite afyer 15 tries. And yes, I have plenty of propane. At leat 10lbs in each tank.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
I am going to give you some basic items to check, without the model numbers it makes it difficult so If you want to check things out and then get back to me with the model numbers I can still help you, I am around daily and respond when I can.
So one thing these both have in common that would prevent then from working is the LP. Go to the main tank and shut the valve, slowly open it back up, sometimes if the valve is opened up to fast the regulator can lock up and you might not get the correct pressure.
In the shop I would want to hook up a manometer and check the pressure it would be hard for you to do with out a manometer.
On the water heater I would blow everything out really good and pull the gas orifice and soak it in alchol. When the water heater starts sparking you should hear the gas valve click.
On the fridge I would blow out the burner tube really well, above the burner tube is the electrode,make sure it is 1/8" over the burner tube and the ceramic on the electrode is not cracked. I would also pull the gas orifice and soak it as well. Normally if the fridge does not stop sparking it is an issue with the electrode, re-igntiter or circuit board. Some models do not have a re-ignitier....
If you want to get me the make and model numbers I should be able to shoot you some service manuals that should help out...
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will go out and get model numbers and respond in a bit.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good it will help.....
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
It would be better to use this forum as I will have to look at each appliance and see what could be the issue.... Just respond with the make and model of each....
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a couple or mod numbers for you. Can you call me please. I opened up rear pannel to fridge. Gas is barley flowing. Igniter is working, flame is not strong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CU606E?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DM2652LBFX?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
The make and model number for the fridge will be on a sticker inside the door Many dometics start with a RM or DM then number
The water heater make and model will have a sticker under the outside access panel. It will be a suburban or Atwood and then have a number.....
Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Yes that would be the model for the Fridge.....
Water Heater?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me open up
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
No problem... I am here...
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SW6D SUBURBAN
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK...
When you try and start the water heater will it spark at all? It is sounds like you could have a LP issue...
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sparks, lites and burns for 30-60 seconds then goes out. I agree, sounds like a regulator prob at tanks. I have 2, 15lb tanks with a selector switch for either tank. Do these go bad? Im the type that likes to buy the best option. I cant stand trouble shooting on site.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Yes the regulators can fail, go to the valve shut it and slowly open it back up and see if that helps.
Since you indicated the flame is weak and the water heater is not staying lit I suspect the pressure is not correct and that is controlled by the regulator on the tank.
It is remotely possible you have an issue at each appliance, I am going to give you some service manuals so you can take a look and do some more testing if needed.... One thing on the water heater, pull the connector on the board and clean the contacts really good on the board with a pencil eraser, sometimes it can be a weak link. Also make sure the DC voltage is good, check it at the fridge, it should be over 11 volts....
Below are the manuals, I know the fridge one says RM 2652 but it is set up the same as the DM..... Hope this helps, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating...
Link....
http://jular.ca/nv/data/pdf/26121_2852SM.PDF
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/subsw.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What regulator would you suggest that is not junk? Do i need to stay away from the selector tank type regulators?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Camco makes the regulators. I have never been a big fan of the change over or auto selector regulators, you can just use a single regulator going to one tank and then when that tank runs out you would have to hook the other up.... Robert