Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

I have an Onan 8DKDFJ, SPEC: 54503C.It's in my 1995 40' Amer

Customer Question

I have an Onan 8DKDFJ, SPEC: 54503C.
It's in my 1995 40' American Dream.
The genset was shutting off due to over heating. The radiator fan isn't coming on. Tested the fan directly and it works.
The thing is I had a generator place replace the starter solenoid, and they said they had to rewire some things. That concerned me since everything worked fine before.
Now I notice the radiator fan isn't coming on. And I see a coolant sensor in the radiator hose near the radiator that has two male leads, but no wires plugged into it. I also see two wires hanging down unattached, one male lead and one female, and they don't even seem to reach the temp sensor.
I downloaded the wiring diagram for my genset (Service Manual for the DKC/DKD Series Gensets. Onan #981-0502 Printed 3-94), and it mostly looks like Chinese to me. I don't want to take it back to the place that worked on it. Hoping you can help.
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
I know this is not what you are going to want to hear, so please don't shoot the messenger, but if there have been modifications made to the unit, there is no way we are going to be able to help get it all back together. We would need to physically see what is there and what has been done.
To make matters even worse, you spec 54503C unit was shipped from Onan with no fan or radiator - the schematics are not even going to show it.
The fan and radiator were added either directly be Fleetwood, or an intermediary contractor working for Fleetwood. No one at Onan is going to know anything about it.
I have to question why a shop would say that they had to rewire a bunch of things, if all they were doing was replacing a starter solenoid..
.
If you are near an Onan distributor, you may want to see about getting in to them.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** was hoping for some troubleshooting advice on a non-working radiator fan in a 1995 American Dream. I understand you are a genset expert and this has to do with how Fleetwood would have set up the radiator fan. Is there someone else at JustAnswer that can help me?
I don't think taking it to an Onan distributor will help, since you told me Onan had nothing to do with installing the radiator and fan in a 1995 American Dream.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out. Someone else may help you.
;