Wayne, RV Mechanic
Experience:  Work on several type of Rv engine, Trans, brakes
6825259

Have a 1992 bouncer MOTORHOMES with a chev 454. It has an

Customer Question

Have a 1992 bouncer MOTORHOMES with a chev 454. It has an backup electric fan that came from the factory that way. This fan runs all the time even when stone cold. It just started doing this resently.
Category: RV
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Wayne I will help you with this what you are describing is a faulty sensorfollow the wires from the fan down into radiatoror block, replace that sensor If this Helped you please Rate My Answer 3 stars or moreIf you need more infoUse the request Button, not a Poor/Bad Rating Thank You Wayne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes thank you Wayne. I have suspected this from the start,problem is there is no way to trace wire from fan to block. There apears to be 3 different sensors. Facing foreword from behind steering wheel the left side of motor there is a 1 wire sensor, there is also a 1 wire sensor on the right side. And then there is a 2 wire sensor on front of motor just to the right. (Facing forewarn) of were the termestat on engine is. Not sure which one to replace.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi Unplug each one, when the fan stops you have the sensor If this Helped you please Rate My Answer 3 stars or moreIf you need more infoUse the request Button, not a Poor/Bad Rating Thank You Wayne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wayne, I have unplugged each one of these sensor individually and also all them at the same time and the fan still rus whether hot or cold whether the engine is running or the ignition is just turned to on. I have looked for some kind of relay that may be stuck but can't seem to find any.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for that
Well that is interesting,
so it is a relay sticking, uncommon
go into to fuse panel , and unplug relays 1 at a time, maybe be under hood also
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also tried finding square pushin relays both under the hood and under the flip up dashboard and could not find any standard looking relays. Am going to try and send picture of something I unplugged and the fan stopped but so did the starters ability to crank, it would now just click
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi Yes that is the starter Relay module not for the fan I thank you for this, and the Pics, the sensor should be in the lower radiator hose return bottom of the block
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wayne, I followed the lower radiator hose up, going to water pump, the only sensor I see is the 2 wired one we talked about earlier. Is there a possibility this sensor is stuck on (reading hot all the time), and if so why didn't the fan stop when I unplug this sensor. Could the computer have a Fail Safe mode in play that makes it run all the time if sensor fails or is unplugged.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for that Yes that is a possibility also , the fan should have turned off whenunplugged , it may have a code in the ECM, saying hot enginethat is keeping it on,