Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Rv tv outlet not powering with generator, but works fine on

Customer Question

Rv tv outlet not powering with generator, but works fine on shoreline. Not sure where to start.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** it is working on shore power go to the generator and make sure you do not have a breaker tripped, most all generators will have one or two breakers on them, on some generators you have to remove a side panel on the generator to get at the breakers.... Let me know..... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked that before, and double checked. But when running the generator seems everything but the tv outlet work, so it doesn't make sense the breaker is tripped. Generator is Onan 4000 micro quite, only one breaker on it.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Let me ask you this, are you trying to use the TV when the engine is running? The reason I ask is many RV manufacturers will have a set up where the TV is locked out when the ignition is turned on, it is a safety feature to prevent the driver from being distracted, sorry have to ask.... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, this rv is like that, I don't even have the key in ignition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Read somewhere there is a transfer switch somewhere that may be stuck or bad, and is not switching over. But not sure if that is accurate, or where to find it to test.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Not sure on this one, you should be getting power to the outlet if everything is working on shore-power, the incoming AC voltage will go to the breaker panel and then out to the appliances.
The only other thing I can think to try is check the polarity of the outlet when the generator is running, most home improvement stores carry the polarity checkers and it will tell you if a wiring issue is going on.
My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know...
Robert
Got your reply.. normally when the transfer switch fails you will get NO ac power at all on one source, it can happen on shore or generator. IF you are missing power to all the outlets, microwave etc please let me know..