Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Left my travel trailer plugged in over the weekend unattended.

Customer Question

left my travel trailer plugged in over the weekend unattended. The only thing left on was the refrigerator. When we got back, the camper had tripped the 30amp service breaker to the campground. The breaker to the water heater on my board inside the camper was thrown also. I reset everything and immediatley the 30 amp service trips. If I shut off all the breakers inside, the outside 30 amp service will not trip. If I switch any of the breakers inside, the outside will trip. need help...
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** when the heating element fails on the water heater it can create a dead short and trip the supply breaker. Of course this could be a number of other issues.If you want to see if that is the cause please get me the make and model of the water heater. Some have a switch on the outside and will energize the heating element as soon as AC power is available. Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SW6DE?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and yes this one has a switch on/off and a reset
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Yes... That is a Suburban.... It has a switch on the outside and when it is ON the heating element is energized.So what you can do to see if it is the water heater is disconnect the AC wires on the back of it, you will have to go inside and gain access, sometimes you have to remove a panel or drawer. Shut the breakers off disconnect the wires from the element, wire nut or tape them and turn the breakers on and see if they trip.Please keep in mind this may not be the issue but something I have seen more then a few times. IF it is not the issue I will continue to help you toruble-shoot...Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will give that a try
and that is possible to prevent ANY of the electrical from working in the camper?
just to clarify before I pull the wires off the heater...
even if the breaker is off to the water heater....switching ANY of the breakers inside will trip the 30 amp service from campground... and that could possibly be the water heater shorting everything?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OKThe breaker should isolate the water heater but I would try and disconnect the wires to the heating element just to be 100% sure.IF that does not work I would be checking the power source, try another if possible, check where the cord comes into the breaker panel, make sure all the connections are tight. Make sure the plug end does not looked damaged or is loose. Robert