Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

I have an Roadtrek RV with a 2800 Onan generator the engine

Customer Question

I have an Roadtrek RV with a 2800 Onan generator the engine runs ok for about 20 minutes before it starts to surge. The generator is a 2008. The repair shop is telling me the engine needs to be rebuilt at the price of 2100 dollars. The generator only has 97 hours of run time. The service guy said engine compression was 75. Should this cause surging
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Low compression will not cause surging. It will cause low engine power.At 97 hours, I find it extremely hard to believe that the engine has that low of compression. Surging is caused by a lean running condition. In your case, since it runs for 20 minutes before surging, I would suspect a fuel pump that is starting to fail..
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Was this what you wanted to know?
.