Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2006 Captiva 220EX. The L rear corner of the unit

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Captiva 220EX. The L rear corner of the unit pulled apart for no apparent reason. (perhaps years of the slide out oving in and out??) The Al Corner (under the trim) on the rear wall pulled away from the side wall. After removing the trim I removed several coarse thread 3 in screws. I tried to tighten, but it will not pull together. I cannot see what thes scews anchor to on the side wall. Does it also have an Al corner? How do I get it to pulltogether?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** might need to see some pictures. One thing you might want to try is get some zip ties the same diameter as the hole and then run your screws in and see if it will tighten up for you, use a hand held screw driver, this is an old trick I learned years ago and seems to work pretty good. Many times the only thing the screws are going into is wood. IF you can reply with some photos it may help..... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did take a phone pic. My question is since the Captiva has an Aluminum frame is there Al on the rear edge of the side wall. It seems that it is able to pull hard but tue gap will not close. I do have a pic on my phone. I am not at the camper rightnow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sides are fiberglass laminated with plywood, the insulation and interior walls. It seems that it is Al frame that the screw is going into, but I cannot see it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wheredo I send phone pic?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK I would think they would have some type of metal or wood that the screws are going into. What you might have to do is screw in between the existing screws and add some new ones, use stainless. You will have to seal the old holes with some silicone, it should pull tight unless something is buckled or broken. You should be able to add it into your reply, I believe on your end there is a paper clip icon or link button you can use.... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my laptop does not communicate with my dumb phone.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK you can send the photo to***@******.*** and they will pass it along to me... Sometimes doing it that way it might take a few hours before I see it. I am around daily so as soon as I see it I will respond... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my phone does not do email. If you do not know the specifics of the construction of the Coachmen Captiva, you may not be able to help me.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK I can put your question back up for other experts, maybe another expert will have some input on this. I do not know when another expert will respond, they come and go daily.... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
No problem! Robert