Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2005 Kountry Star by Newmar. The automatic steps are

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Kountry Star by Newmar. The automatic steps are made by Country step Inc. my problem is when it rains they do not always extend or retract. This has been going on for a while and have not repaired because I was not sure what to do. Now the steps,when they extend they ratchet for a couple seconds, then locks into place and stops. Any Idea what could be causing this.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** the steps fully extended and retracting? Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they are.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK What I would do to start is get under the step and check all your connections at the control box and motor, make sure nothing is corroded and you can not see any bare wire near the connectors. I would also spray down the pivot points on the step and motor with some silicone spray. What I would do next is jump the motor direct with a 12 volt source and see if the motor still ratchets, if so the motor will have to be replaced, IF the motor runs normally then the control box is at fault. The issue with the rain sounds like a bad connection to me....... Hope this helps.... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cleaned all the pivots and checked the wiring and there is no visible wear. I will isolate the motor and try that. I cannot locate the switch that activates the step. Can you help me with that?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OKNormally you will have a power switch near the entry step and you will have a door switch. The door switch will mount to the door frame and then on the or screen door, sometimes it will be a series of buttons OR a round circle that will line up with the screen door, it is a magnet style switch.... Robert