Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Generator fires up and runs but nothing working on inside such

Customer Question

Generator fires up and runs but nothing working on inside such as a.c. and lights
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** is the Year, Make and Model of the RV? IF you plug in the shore cord do you have power? Do you have to plug a cord in for the generator to allow AC power inside or is it automatic? Thanks, Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's automatic switch over, 1994 Columbus by Thor,I had electric cord plugged into a house it blew house circuit so I ran generator, only nothing inside came on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged the cord and restarted gen. Nothing inside comes on
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK First off go to the generator and make sure you do not have a breaker tripped, most generators will have one or two breakers on them. If the breakers are good you are going to have to find the transfer switch, it will detect the incoming source and switch between shore and generator power. IF you have AC voltage going in and nothing coming out it has failed, you would test with the generator running. The TS can be in several locations, sometimes it is next to the shore cord and other times it can be inside, under the bed, behind the breaker panel etc... Try your best to follow both the shore and generator cord, they will lead right to it..... Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... RobertIF you have AC power to the outlets, please let me know. The power converter can not make the DC voltage without the AC voltage present.