gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

I have an Onan Model HGJAB Generator on our 2005 RV (National

Customer Question

I have an Onan Model HGJAB Generator on our 2005 RV (National RV). When we first got it (2nd owner) the generator would run sometimes and then shut off. Then it started just not starting at all. I replaced the Carb (complete assembly), fuel & oil filters, oil, plugs & fuel pump. Started and ran for a couple hours under load. Worked great. Shut it off. Came back two days later and it started right away & ran for about 15 minutes. Then it died. Now it just grinds and grinds, but won't start. I can smell fuel so I think its getting fuel. The oil dip stick is close to the top. RV tank is full of fresh fuel. Does the same no matter if starting from the cockpit or at the generator. The Start/Prime butterfly switch has a red light on it that flashes while trying to start. I would assume this is where we see the error codes too. There are NO error codes visible at the generator OR in the cockpit. Any suggestions? I do know how to use a volt/ohm meter (Retired Motorola Tech).
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
What is the full model number of the genset? Can you please explain this grinding sound a little better?.