gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

I have a 1990 Fleetwood Flair. The gas guage doesn't work.

Customer Question

I have a 1990 Fleetwood Flair. The gas guage doesn't work. It doesn't move from empty, or at all. How do I check what is wrong?
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this will be one of 3 things, 1) the sending unit in the tank is bad 2) the wiring from the sending unit 3) the gauge................so to test, go to the gas tank, and locate the wire that goes to the sending unit. the signal sent is a ground. and comes from a variable resister on the sender. cut the wire, and ground it, this will simulate a 'full' signal from it, after grounding it ck the gauge if its reading full, the sender is bad. If nothing changes, lets test the gauge. do the sender test, then we will move on to the next test, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to wait 'til my man gets here. I went to try, and find the tank. I was going to raise my level'ers which worked a couple of weeks ago,and now they don't work, and it's not the fuse, I checked. Seems a lot of my fuse's are burning out lately.
thanks for responding, I look forward to hearing your progress. Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(###) ###-####
Unfortunately I am not involved in the phone service, and we will have to work here, Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Michael, but I want your expertise.
I also have a clog in my water pump in the coach. How do I change the filter?
Hi, normally the filter for the water pump is attached directly to the input side of the water pump. take a look
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to look but the intake is in back where it's hard to work. Must I take the whole pump off.
sometimes when they build the coach the manufacturer does not give much thought to repair later on, you will have to determine if this is necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you're right, the manufacturer doesn't want us to fix anything. I think I will have to pull it.
I have always thought they do it so you give up and have to take it in, so they get paid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Getting back to the fuel guage. Can the fuse's have anything to do with this. The gas guage has been down for a long time, but before it completely went it would come on intermittently. I know the Man. does this, thats why I've been trying to fix it myself. The last dealer I went to really screwed me over because he didn't do what he charged me for, and I didn't find out for years later. That's what I get for not checking.
the gauge does use a 12volt signal to operate, however it uses the same power as the other gauge , so the logic here is that if the other gages work, its not the power, however go to the back of the gauge and using a voltmeter or test light, see if there is power there with the ignition on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll try that. I have to stop now, but will contact you later, and thanks. Mary
Your welcome, I'll be here when your ready, or shortly thereafter,,,,,,,,,,Michael