gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

My RGE 400 has started smelling. It burns my eyes and tong.

Customer Question

My RGE 400 has started smelling. It burns my eyes and tong. I cleaned everything and it still does this. Honestly it's effecting my health. We must do something ASAP. WHAT?
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 1 year ago.
Hi, does it smell like ammonia?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO. Gas is not burning correctly. Burnd eyes and nose
the reason I ask is that the absorbtion refer you have uses ammonia as its refrigerant, and if it begins to leak out, you will smell it, and its nasty, If the gas is not burning correctly check the gas pressure, it should be at 10.5 water column inches, make sure the burner is clean, and the jet is clear, are you high in altitude?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have had the water column checked. I know it uses ammonia. I am at 9300 ft. But have the high altitude jet. Checked all connections with soapy water and no leaks........Seem hopeless
Hi, I have read thru the installation manual for your refer thinking perhaps there's something there you can use to address your issue. I am forwarding it to you, and with that I am going to opt out and contact another expert here that is more familiar with high altitude problems, he lives in Colorado, thanks for your patience..........He will contact you ......