Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a travel trailer that the kids plugged into a 50 amp

Customer Question

I have a travel trailer that the kids plugged into a 50 amp instead of 30. Now nothing works. No fridge, TV, Microwave, lights & etc. What has to be replaced.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
It would be hard to plug in a 30 amp cord into a 50 amp socket, the 30 amp will have three prongs and a 50 amp 4 prongs. Unless they plugged into a welder or dryer outlet then it can cause damage.
Have you checked to see if you have power at the outlets?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power anywhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They used a cord that when from 3 prongs to four
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
So you plugged back into 30 amp service and nothing at all is working? Have you plugged something else into the outlets to make sure they were not working? Want to be sure ALL the power is missing, both AC (outlets, microwave) and DC power.
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing works. Yes we have plugged in even those tester and nothing. There is absolutly no power anywhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction. Outlets are working.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Not good....
You are going to have to check each outlet and see what is not working.. I can assist you on this, but it might take some going back and forth....
Are the TV'S, Microwave working?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a 2006, Spirit of America, model 969.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Microwave is not
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Verify if the outlets for the TV have power, if they do then TV'S need to be replaced. If the microwave outlet has power then I would check the fuse inside the microwave, the microwave will have to be pulled.
The fridge requires DC voltage to turn on. You should have a power converter, the power converter takes the AC voltage and makes the DC voltage, I suspect that will have to be replaced as well but you want to check the fuses near the breaker panel. Also some converters will have two fuses on them. They do not do well with AC voltage change. I suspect after the converter issue is addressed everything else will work.
IF the fridge does not work after you have DC power, go to the outside access and remove the cord from the outlet, you should see a circuit board, remove the cover and check the fuses on the board, one is for DC power which allows the fridge to turn on....
Hope this helps... Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Did you say no power at microwave outlet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Gonna ck that now.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
No problem, take you time...
Robert