Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Need help with hot and cold water pipe replacing in a 96

Customer Question

Need help with hot and cold water pipe replacing in a 96 Fleetwood Southwind 35P motor home. Having trouble getting to the pipes in the floor of the RV that are running between the kitchen sink and the the bathroom lavy sink.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert....
On some of these older fleetwood's they would use a metal channel under the floor that they put all the plumbing and some DC wiring, it would cross from passenger to the drivers side. It would be about a 4"x"2 metal channel. Many times to make repairs you have to cut the channel to get make any repairs. I would take a look from underneath above the chassis for that channel, these types of repairs can be very difficult to make..... Robert
IF you can not locate that please let me know as other experts might have some input on this.... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have been underneath several times and not found anything like that. I do have an access cover in the RV coach that is parallel with the the left side outer wall ( on floor ) that goes from the pantry for about 15 inches and is about 7-8 inches wide and about 5 inches tall. Under this cover are three water lines from the kitchen sink and the black drain pipe. The problem is that the turn 90 degrees and go into the floor for about 3-4 feet which is just about in the middle of the bathroom swing door and under the floor carpeting and 1/4 board. Trying to avoid pulling them up to replace the three grey plastic water tubing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has anyone experienced this challenge before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have had thought of changing the three water pipes location altogether away from the floor channel. Putting the between the waste/ fresh water tanks and the inside of the paco beam frame rail.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Do you happen to have access on both sides of that area? Sometimes they are in the floor and you might have to pull the floor up, however if you can get to each side of them then you can cut the lines out install new line and compression style fittings that do not require special tools. IF you do not have access and you have no channel underneath that area then I am afraid part of the floor will have to come up to get to the lines.... Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Just got your reply, That would be an excellent idea.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wanting to insulate pipes and add heat tape, what is best to do in keeping the heat tape safe near the pipe insulation and tanks?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
You have some options they do make pipe insulation and it works pretty good, you just zip tie in on. IF you are in a VERY cold climate and the lines are going to be exposed then heat tape would be the way to go. Never had an issue with it being to close to the tanks, if any insulation is in the way I would make sure it is a few inches away from the tape..... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was wanting to put the heat tape in the middle of the three water lines (hot, cold, and fresh water) that are going the length of the RV from the service compartment up to the the front of the fresh water tanks. Do I need to have the heat tape in a pipe by its' self or in pipe insulation?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Normally on the heat tape you want to wrap the lines, if you can get all three at once then that will be fine to do. Most will require a 110 volt source and it will come with a thermostat or I would get one that has it. Same with insulation, if you can find it big enough then you can just secure it on all three....
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can not because there is only enough room between the tanks and the inside of the frame rail to add pipe insulation to the each of the three pipes. There is room vertically to add another pipe or to pull the heat tape through the 20 foot or more length of the pipes but I am thinking that the heat tape will melt through the pipe insulation and possibly the pex too.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Sorry about the delay was giving this a bit of thought, what you could do is use the heat tape and then try to secure it to the line swith some aluminum tape, this will do two things help hold the heat tape on and protect any area around the lines. I do not know any other options beyond filling the area with some fiberglass insulation.
My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating.. Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help and the information.
This is better than I was and will hopefully avoid having anything frozen again.
It would be nice to have another opinion, have not had much of any luck at getting in to any of the dealers.
Thank you.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi again....
I see no other experts have responded. My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like a refund please let me know, IF you are satisfied please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit, I am fine in whatever you decide.... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just need to clarify on the best way to put heat tape on or between the pipes.
The one challenge is that there is a "T" junction in the middle for two of the three pipes and have access at each ends ( front, middle, and rear ) only. Tried to join pipes together with new "T" and insulate each length of pipe but can pull them into position because of a tight pinch point where the "T" catch.
Wanting to pull the heat tape by it"s self, straight through and between the Hot and Cold ( with pipe insulation ) 1/2" pex from the connection point for the service box to the very front of the fresh water tanks.
Thinking of adding aluminum foil tape around the outside of each pex pipe and pipe installation ( pre-formed foam type ) and using one of the old 1/2" grey plastic tubes to secure the heat tape to ( not wrapping closer than 2-3 feet ). Not going to put anything to cover the heat tape and then pulling it through, under the HOT and above the COLD pex pipes ( with pipe insulation and aluminum foil tape ) for the entire length from back to front. Then using a 110v adapter with built in thermostat, to plug heat tape into.
Is this going to work for full-time RV during winter months?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please help me through this completely.
Walter Bingham***@******.***
Cell#(###) ###-####
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Yes I think your idea is a good one using the old tubes to secure the heat tape to. IT has to get pretty cold for an extended period for the lines to freeze, with the aluminum tape, pipe insulation with the heat tape I do not think you are going to have any issues. So yes I think this will work fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I add a way to the fresh water, grey water, and black water tank in keeping them warm when it begins to drop below 40 degrees.
About all I have been able to find is, one inch blue foam board on the inside of each paco frame rail and nothing else to insulate or keep them from freezing.
What can I do to help keep them warm?
Can I put heat tape on top of these tanks?
What other means are used?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
They do make heat pads for the tanks, below is a link for you to give you an idea I would think they could go on top as the tank as well....
Link..
http://www.adventurerv.net/ultraheat-holding-tank-heater-th726a-p-30781.html?gclid=CNCosrS258YCFYdsfgod38sFAQ&utm_campaign=partsfeed_ppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle