Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  23 years Caterpillar Engine experience
30708357

My diesel engine showed on monitor to shut down engine when

Customer Question

my diesel engine showed on monitor to shut down engine when running after a grade it was not hot and the oil was a normal level and so was tranny. cat 360.
Ken
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
Did the red or yellow engine light come on just before the engine shut down?
Would the engine restart after shutting down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES to both
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
Since the lights come on I would like to try and pull the two digit flash codes by using the cruise control switches. If you have never done this. Here is how.
Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.
Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will go over to storage on Friday and try this then let you know.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Ok sounds good.