Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

We recently had our front a/c unit replaced and have experienced

Customer Question

we recently had our front a/c unit replaced and have experienced a burnt odor when it's been running for an hour or more. almost like electrical issue. We took it back to camping world and had them check it. They said they found a loose wire in the breaker panel and fixed it but we still have the same problem. Could they have installed a unit that draws too much amps?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my my name is Robert...
I do not think so, if that was the case you would be tripping the breaker in the breaker panel. Most of these AC units are universal and you can get a higher rated BTU AC unit but the electrical panel should be able to handle it on a 50 amp service. Sometimes the a new AC unit can have some smell, I might keep an eye on it run it a few more times and see if the smell goes away, if it does not go away then I would have them look at it again. All the AC wiring should be checked and the voltages checked at the breaker panel and the AC unit. Hope this helps... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forget to mention when we took it back they said the inverter went up and they had to replace it also. they breaker panel had a black mark in it like a wire got hot and the camping world said the found a loose connection
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We thought maybe the smell would go away but not so. it actually is originating from the back bedroom on the same wall as the breaker panel which is located over the compartment where the inverter is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no odor coming from the a/c vents
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
You need to have this looked at again and I am not so sure I would use the AC unit, that is not normal for the breaker panel to be smelling like that. What needs to happen is all the wiring for the inverter and AC unit should be verified, and see what the voltage is. hard for me to say the exact issue but from what you are describing I would have it looked at again if the smell is not going away... Robert