Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

I have a Kubota CD7000 Diesel Generator in my 1995 Motorhome

Customer Question

I have a Kubota CD7000 Diesel Generator in my 1995 Motorhome Serial#CH40229. I have new Batteries in the Coach. It will not start frome the Cabin Starter switch or the switch at the Generator sight. It was operating OK yesterday.The Oil level is OK as the Coolent level. I can here a clicking when I try to start it from the switch at the gen sight. I am thinking it may be the Start switch or starter relay or Motor. I am in Ely,Nev on my way to Twin Falls,Id. tomorrow to find a repair facility if I can. What do you think? Charlie
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
CD7000 is the model number of a PowerTech generator, not a Kubota.
It does happen to have a Kubota engine on it, though.
Hearing a clicking is very vague. Is is a single click as you press and release the start button? Is it a continuous rapid clicking?
Is it pretty loud, or is it fairly quiet?
A single loud click could be several things - bad starter solenoid, bad starter, seized engine.
A loud continuous rapid clicking is indicative of low voltage getting to the starter solenoid. This usually happens when batteries go bad, or in the case of brand new batteries, if they are 6 volt, they get wired incorrectly, and instead of 12V getting to the solenoid, you only get 6V.
A continuous quiet clicking can be a fuel pump going bad, fuel line sucking air, or just being low on fuel. An RV must have a minimum of 1/4 tank fuel for the genset to run. This is a safety feature to prevent the genset from running you out of fuel, and leaving you stranded halfway between nuts and insane.
.